Why you cannot neglect advanced cyber security
The number of cyber attacks on big corporations and organizations grows all the time. Companies do not have doubts that they would be attacked one day – they only have doubts about the moment when the attack would take place. Therefore, advanced cyber security has become one of the primary concerns of any businessman as dealing with the consequences of an attack is usually troublesome and painful. To avoid such unpleasant situation companies are doing their best to ensure their protection and to establish the advanced cyber security system that would guarantee safety on multiple levels. But to be ready to ensure advanced information security the one has to be aware of potential hazards he might face at some point.
System and network threats you might encounter
Guaranteeing advanced cyber security is not that easy as cyber criminals come up with new ideas and methods that are supposed to help them to reach a particular goal: to steal certain information, to destroy files, to intrude into encrypted communication, etc. Although technological innovations help to ensure advanced cyber security they also help hackers to make their attacks more advanced and successful. Therefore, the list of potential threats of data security becomes longer and longer.
When it comes to network threats there are a few most common and widespread attack methods such as:
- Browser attacks that trick the user to download certain malicious software;
- Brute force attacks occur when a cyber criminal tries to guess your password;
- DOS attacks (Denial of Service) take place when hackers overload servers and legitimate users cannot access the information they need.
- DDoS attack (Distributed Denial of Service) happens when a certain email or a website is flooded with data so that it fails to work;
- SSL attacks (Secure Sockets Layer) give hackers an opportunity to steal sensitive data and to get an access to information that was supposed to be encrypted and protected;
- Port scans attack occurs when a cyber criminal checks status of ports and search for an open one that could be used for an attack in the future;
- DNS attack (Domain name servers) takes place when hackers make the name server return an incorrect IP address and redirect information to the computer chosen by the hacker;
- Backdoor attacks happen when a malicious software or hardware are installed on the computer and allow the hacker to access it remotely
Also, companies are extremely concerned with advanced email security as, regardless all the innovations and new technologies, the majority of targeted attacks on corporations are made via email.
Basic hints to ensure protection against threats
To ensure advanced data security it is not enough to know what kind of threats you might encounter – it is also important to be aware of tools that would help you to avoid those threats and to minimize potential risks.
The most reasonable and useful pieces of advice are the following:
Update your browser regularly and install the latest versions of such applications as Flash and Java;
Be attentive to passwords you use and follow the recommendations that would help you to come up with a strong password;
Use high-quality firewalls, email filters, anti-virus software to prevent DDoS attacks;
Make sure that your servers are patched and updated on a regular basis.
But, as the majority of advanced attacks on corporations still start from emails you have to make sure that you know how to behave and that you are aware of dos and don’ts during communication via email. The crucial rule that might save your system and network one day is not to open suspicious links and attachments as they could contain malware capable of ruining your system. But the most wise way to reduce the risk of attack via email is to install one of the available advanced threat protection programs. They would take care of your email, check links and attachments, perform behavioral analysis, block suspicious messages and give you recommendations on how you should act.
Hence, if you follow the rules listed above and if you do not neglect specialized software that detects and analyzes potential threats then you have a chance to achieve the comprehensive defense of your network. Usually, it does not require any remarkable efforts from you: be attentive, cautious and follow the instructions given by professionals that have developed protection software. And, due to these simple rules, you would save yourself and your system from advanced cyber threats.